Thursday, July 7, 2011

7/7/11 Reviewing the Reading

My only knowledge of clay is what my generous co-workers tutored me on.  Reading about the various methods of creating ceramic objects, as well as the various types of ceramic, has opened my eyes to this elegant art form. I was so impressed with the various textures and shapes that you are able to create.  Form and function are so varied.  Also, the uses of ceramic is more diverse than I had realized. I was particularly struck by the potential for social commentary, especially in the use of the "Mug" as politial commentary.  Do you not drink out of something if it has a particular meaning?  If you are truly thirsty, does it matter?  If you only have one object to use, does it matter?  What if you are oblivious to the true message of the art?  Fascinating :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment